Ameloblastoma: A clinical study of 25 Iraqi patients

Salwan Y. Bede, Jamal A. Mohammed, Thair A. Hasan


Objective: Geographic differences in clinical and pathological aspects of ameloblastoma have been suggested, therefore the purpose of this study was to analyze cases of ameloblastoma in terms of clinical and radiographic manifestations, histopathological types, treatment modalities and recurrence rate and compare them with reports from other parts of the world.
Methods: The medical reports of patients diagnosed with ameloblastoma were reviewed and the data concerning the age, gender, chief complaint, the anatomical site of the lesion, radiographic appearance, histopathological diagnosis, treatment approach and recurrence were retrieved. Surgical treatment consisted of either enucleation with curettage and peripheral ostectomy or resection; marginal or segmental. Statistical analysis included descriptive and inferential statistics.
Results: This study included 25 patients with a mean age of 39 years, 14 (56%) were males and 11 (44%) were females. Six patients (24%) were below 20 years when diagnosed. Nineteen patients (76%) had Solid Ameloblastoma, while the remaining 6 patients (24%) were diagnosed with Unicystic ameloblastoma, surgical treatment was provided for 23 patients, recurrence occurred in 2 patients (8.7%).
Conclusions: The main clinical characteristics of ameloblastoma in Iraq are in line with those reported in other studies from other parts of the world especially Asian countries, being mostly of solid variant, predominantly involving the mandibular posterior region, with no gender predilection or slight male preponderance but generally affecting younger age group.

Full Text:




  • There are currently no refbacks.

Case Studies in Surgery  ISSN 2377-7311(Print)  ISSN 2377-732X(Online)

Copyright © Sciedu Press

To make sure that you can receive messages from us, please add the '' and ‘’ domains to your e-mail 'safe list'. If you do not receive e-mail in your 'inbox', please check your 'spam' or 'junk' folder.